Microscopy Suite Equipment Fees
Fees/rates for use of equipment in the Microscopy Suite determined through analysis by Government Costing, University of Illinois. In effect starting July 1, 2018; subject to change.
Desk V Sputter Coater
The Desk V Sample Preparation system, equipped for both evaporation and sputtering, is a high productivity solution that delivers exceptional, consistent and highly repeatable results.
Desk V coating systems are available in two versions: Desk V HP and Desk V TSC. The Desk V TSC, the turbo molecular-pumped sputter coater option, is designed for high resolution microscopy samples and is suitable for oxidizing and non-oxidizing metals. The Desk V magnetron sputter unit precisely deposits a conductive coating and its thermal evaporation option deposits a thin layer of carbon (using rods or yarn).
- SEM sample preparation (Sputtering & Carbon Evaporation)
- TEM sample preparation (Carbon Evaporation)
- X-Ray Microanalysis sample preparation (Carbon Evaporation)
- High resolution sample preparation
- Material science
- Life science
The Desk V deposits a broad range of coating materials (including iridium), while the adjustable rotating and tilting stage ensures a highly uniform coating with excellent conformity and coverage, even on samples with highly irregular surfaces. The Desk V includes an easy-to-change, drop-in style, insulated rotating specimen table, and its plug-and-play style eliminates much of the learning curve for you.
|Equipment Model||Desk V|
|Location||B612, Wet Lab|
|Phone Numbers||(217) 265-5071|
* The fee for use is added to our purchase cost for the specific precious metal (gold, gold-palladium, or platinum) expended during coating. Gold and gold-palladium are charged at $0.30/nm, and platinum is charged at $0.45/nm. The added fee is easy to determine for the dual-metal evaporator, for which total thicknesses are reported in nm. For the sputter coaters, at 65 mTorr and 40 mA, gold coats at 3 nm/10 seconds, gold-palladium coats at 1 nm/10 seconds, and platinum coats at 1 nm/10 seconds. So a standard 70-second coat of gold will cost an additional (21 x 0.30) $6.30, a 70-second coat of gold-palladium will cost (7 x 0.30) $2.10, and a 70-second coat of platinum will cost (7 x 0.45) $3.15.
**The Xradia NanoCT system requires staff setup of the sample before X-ray collection.
***The actual hourly cost for this instrument is $91.31. The Beckman Institute subsidizes the TEM at a rate of $41.31 per hour for Internal university users. Enterprise Works users are charged the full $91.31 per hour.