Microscopy Suite Equipment Fees
Fees/rates for use of equipment in the Microscopy Suite determined through analysis by Government Costing, University of Illinois. In effect starting July 1, 2018; subject to change.
Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope
Field-Emission Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope (ESEM-FEG) with Energy-Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS)
A versatile microscope with 2 nm ultimate resolution. Works well in both Hi-Vac mode (normal SEM) and Wet mode (as an ESEM). In Wet mode, the Peltier stage may be utilized to keep samples at 100% R.H. while they are being imaged.
- Everhart-Thornley secondary electron detector
- Robinson series 6 scintillator-type backscattered electron detector (BSD), plus solid-state low- and standard voltage BSDs
- Several different gaseous secondary electron detectors (GSEDs), from the LF (large-field) detector to the 0.5-mm-aperture detector
- EDAX light-element energy-dispersive spectroscopy (EDS)
- Peltier-effect heating/cooling stage (20µ C above/below ambient).
- 1000µ C hot stage
|Equipment Model||FEI Quanta FEG 450 ESEM|
|Phone Numbers||(217) 333-5493, (217) 265-5071, (217) 265-8164 (Room B606L)|
* The fee for use is added to our purchase cost for the specific precious metal (gold, gold-palladium, or platinum) expended during coating. Gold and gold-palladium are charged at $0.30/nm, and platinum is charged at $0.45/nm. The added fee is easy to determine for the dual-metal evaporator, for which total thicknesses are reported in nm. For the sputter coaters, at 65 mTorr and 40 mA, gold coats at 3 nm/10 seconds, gold-palladium coats at 1 nm/10 seconds, and platinum coats at 1 nm/10 seconds. So a standard 70-second coat of gold will cost an additional (21 x 0.30) $6.30, a 70-second coat of gold-palladium will cost (7 x 0.30) $2.10, and a 70-second coat of platinum will cost (7 x 0.45) $3.15.
**The Xradia NanoCT system requires staff setup of the sample before X-ray collection.
***The actual hourly cost for this instrument is $91.31. The Beckman Institute subsidizes the TEM at a rate of $41.31 per hour for Internal university users. Enterprise Works users are charged the full $91.31 per hour.