Microscopy Suite Equipment Fees
Fees/rates for use of equipment in the Microscopy Suite determined through analysis by Government Costing, University of Illinois. In effect starting July 1, 2018; subject to change.
Leica SP8 UV/Visible Laser Confocal Microscope
Confocal microscopy permits one to optically section a fluorescent sample (such as a cell that has been stained with contrasting fluorescent dyes) with superior resolution by using a pinhole to reject light that originates outside of the chosen area. By collecting a series of such images through the depth of a sample, the user may assemble a highly accurate three-dimensional reconstruction of the entire sample.
- Laser lines: 405, 458, 488, 514, 561 & 633 nm.
- Four detectors: Three PMTs + one high-sensitivity GaAsP HyD detectors.
- Resonant scanning (8kHz) allows 28 fps at 512*512 for fast live cell imaging.
- Scan optics for high transmission from 400 nm to 1300 nm.
- Optical scanfield rotation up to 200 degrees.
- Three mirrors X2Y scanner for parallax-free and tiling imaging.
- Motorized stage, mark & find, tiling confocal imaging.
- LAS X control software.
- 20x/0.75 IMM (oil, water, glycerol) CORR CS2, free Working distance 670 um
- 40x/1.30 HC PL APO Oil CS2, free Working distance 240 um
- 63x/1.40 HC PL APO Oil CS2, free working distance 140 um
- Fluorescence Recovery After Photobleaching (FRAP).
- Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET).
|Equipment Model||TCS SP8|
|Phone Numbers||(217) 333-4387, (217) 265-5071, (217) 244-6270 (Room B420B)|
* The fee for use is added to our purchase cost for the specific precious metal (gold, gold-palladium, or platinum) expended during coating. Gold and gold-palladium are charged at $0.30/nm, and platinum is charged at $0.45/nm. The added fee is easy to determine for the dual-metal evaporator, for which total thicknesses are reported in nm. For the sputter coaters, at 65 mTorr and 40 mA, gold coats at 3 nm/10 seconds, gold-palladium coats at 1 nm/10 seconds, and platinum coats at 1 nm/10 seconds. So a standard 70-second coat of gold will cost an additional (21 x 0.30) $6.30, a 70-second coat of gold-palladium will cost (7 x 0.30) $2.10, and a 70-second coat of platinum will cost (7 x 0.45) $3.15.
**The Xradia NanoCT system requires staff setup of the sample before X-ray collection.
***The actual hourly cost for this instrument is $91.31. The Beckman Institute subsidizes the TEM at a rate of $41.31 per hour for Internal university users. Enterprise Works users are charged the full $91.31 per hour.