Microscopy Suite Equipment Fees
Fees/rates for use of equipment in the Microscopy Suite determined through analysis by Government Costing, University of Illinois. In effect starting July 1, 2018; subject to change.
Thin sections from 1 to 5 micrometers; ultrathin sections to about 50 nanometers.
Tables for the Zeiss objectives can be found here.
Tables for oil immersion types can be found here.
- Multi-illumination of the pyramid and knife edge
- Dual automatic advance system (stepping motor for 200-um specimen advance, stepping motor for 10-mm knife movement)
- Control unit with cutting speed control, memory for five combinations of the advance cutting speed settings
- Return speed and cutting window settings
|Equipment Model||Ultracut UCT|
|Phone Numbers||(217) 265-5071|
* The fee for use is added to our purchase cost for the specific precious metal (gold, gold-palladium, or platinum) expended during coating. Gold and gold-palladium are charged at $0.30/nm, and platinum is charged at $0.45/nm. The added fee is easy to determine for the dual-metal evaporator, for which total thicknesses are reported in nm. For the sputter coaters, at 65 mTorr and 40 mA, gold coats at 3 nm/10 seconds, gold-palladium coats at 1 nm/10 seconds, and platinum coats at 1 nm/10 seconds. So a standard 70-second coat of gold will cost an additional (21 x 0.30) $6.30, a 70-second coat of gold-palladium will cost (7 x 0.30) $2.10, and a 70-second coat of platinum will cost (7 x 0.45) $3.15.
**The Xradia NanoCT system requires staff setup of the sample before X-ray collection.
***The actual hourly cost for this instrument is $91.31. The Beckman Institute subsidizes the TEM at a rate of $41.31 per hour for Internal university users. Enterprise Works users are charged the full $91.31 per hour.