Microscopy Suite Equipment Fees
Fees/rates for use of equipment in the Microscopy Suite determined through analysis by Government Costing, University of Illinois. In effect starting July 1, 2018; subject to change.
Upright Multiphoton Confocal Microscope
The Bruker Ultima upright multiphoton microscope is capable of simultaneous or sequential imaging, electrophysiology and uncaging/photostimulation on in vivo and in vitro specimens. The microscope is equipped with a Spectra Physics Insight laser X3 laser for multiphoton excitation. The laser has two outputs - one is a tunable from 690 nm -1300 nm and the other output is a fixed 1040 nm. Two visible lasers 473 nm and 561 nm are available for photoactivation.
- Olympus PLN10X; Plan Achromat 10x/0.25, WD 10.5 mm
- Olympus XLUMPLFLN 20XW; 20x/1.0 objective, WD 2.0 mm
- Olympus LUMPLFL40XW/IR-2; M Plan Fluorite 40x/0.8, WD 3.3 mm
- Olympus LUMPLFL60XW/IR-2; M Plan Fluorite 60X/1.0, WD 2 mm
- Resonant Scanner for high speed imaging.
- Full field photoactivation with 470 nm LED.
- Bruker substage detectors.
- Bruker Prairie View imaging software.
* The fee for use is added to our purchase cost for the specific precious metal (gold, gold-palladium, or platinum) expended during coating. Gold and gold-palladium are charged at $0.30/nm, and platinum is charged at $0.45/nm. The added fee is easy to determine for the dual-metal evaporator, for which total thicknesses are reported in nm. For the sputter coaters, at 65 mTorr and 40 mA, gold coats at 3 nm/10 seconds, gold-palladium coats at 1 nm/10 seconds, and platinum coats at 1 nm/10 seconds. So a standard 70-second coat of gold will cost an additional (21 x 0.30) $6.30, a 70-second coat of gold-palladium will cost (7 x 0.30) $2.10, and a 70-second coat of platinum will cost (7 x 0.45) $3.15.
**The Xradia NanoCT system requires staff setup of the sample before X-ray collection.
***The actual hourly cost for this instrument is $91.31. The Beckman Institute subsidizes the TEM at a rate of $41.31 per hour for Internal university users. Enterprise Works users are charged the full $91.31 per hour.