Microscopy Suite Equipment Fees
Fees/rates for use of equipment in the Microscopy Suite determined through analysis by Government Costing, University of Illinois. In effect starting July 1, 2018; subject to change.
The Malvern NanoSight NS300 is a revolutionary dynamic light-scattering particle-sizing system that is capable of measuring particle size distribution and concentration in aqueous solutions. Rather than employing photodetectors (such as photomultiplier tubes [PMTs] or avalanche photodiodes [APDs]) to measure light scattering, the N300 utilizes a high-sensitivity video camera to track the Brownian motion of particles in solution. With a 488-nm laser light source and fluorescent filters, the N300 can easily target specific fluorescent particles, with a particle size range of 10 to 2000 nm and a range of concentrations from 1 x 10^6 to 1 x 10^9/ml.
- Simultaneous measurement of multiple characteristics, saving time and sample volume
- Visual validation of results gives extra confidence
- Minimal sample preparation
- On board temperature control
- Choice of laser wavelengths
|Equipment Model||NanoSight NS300|
|Phone Numbers||(217) 265-0875, (217) 265-5071|
* The fee for use is added to our purchase cost for the specific precious metal (gold, gold-palladium, or platinum) expended during coating. Gold and gold-palladium are charged at $0.30/nm, and platinum is charged at $0.45/nm. The added fee is easy to determine for the dual-metal evaporator, for which total thicknesses are reported in nm. For the sputter coaters, at 65 mTorr and 40 mA, gold coats at 3 nm/10 seconds, gold-palladium coats at 1 nm/10 seconds, and platinum coats at 1 nm/10 seconds. So a standard 70-second coat of gold will cost an additional (21 x 0.30) $6.30, a 70-second coat of gold-palladium will cost (7 x 0.30) $2.10, and a 70-second coat of platinum will cost (7 x 0.45) $3.15.
**The Xradia NanoCT system requires staff setup of the sample before X-ray collection.
***The actual hourly cost for this instrument is $91.31. The Beckman Institute subsidizes the TEM at a rate of $41.31 per hour for Internal university users. Enterprise Works users are charged the full $91.31 per hour.