Microscopy Suite Equipment Fees
Fees/rates for use of equipment in the Microscopy Suite determined through analysis by Government Costing, University of Illinois. In effect starting July 1, 2018; subject to change.
- Power Tome, high stability, zero back-lash, cutting arm drive system
- High precision, manually operated, knife stage
- Ergonomic photo stereomicroscope system with constant radial focus, eucentric tilt control adjustment & unique “Scan and Tilt” control.
- Numeric & digital displays of number of sections cut, total specimen feed advanced, section thickness, cutting speed and specimen feed remaining
- Built-in hand rests for maximum comfort when specimen trimming and collecting sections
- Bright LED approach backlight with independent LED specimen transillumination/spotlight for specimen localization
- Cutting zone set by unique Visutrac™ control that can be adjusted at any time. Cutting zone can also be set by positioning specimen & touching upper & lower cutting zone icons on the touchscreen or the control buttons on the tactile controller.
- Electronic stepping control for automatic specimen advance/return
- Built-in report generator & data base with specimen parameter recall mode.
- Five memory channels to store frequently used cutting and trimming parameters
- Built-in diagnostic & set-up routines
- Help menu
- HD video package with photo stereozoom microscope, c-mount & camera factory installed
Auto thin sectioning from 1nm
Auto thick sectioning to 15µm
Cutting speed range from 0.1 – 100mm/sec
Specimen auto feed 200µm
Variable return speed over entire cutting speed range
High precision manually operated knife stage with 30mm lateral and 12mm forward motion
100/120/220/240 VAC 50/60Hz power input
Shipping dimensions: One pallet base, tri-wall crate,
840x560x635mm, and one accessory carton 610 x 610 x 610mm
Net weight: 33kg Gross weight: 74kg
|Equipment Model||PowerTome PC|
|Phone Numbers||(217) 265-5071|
* The fee for use is added to our purchase cost for the specific precious metal (gold, gold-palladium, or platinum) expended during coating. Gold and gold-palladium are charged at $0.30/nm, and platinum is charged at $0.45/nm. The added fee is easy to determine for the dual-metal evaporator, for which total thicknesses are reported in nm. For the sputter coaters, at 65 mTorr and 40 mA, gold coats at 3 nm/10 seconds, gold-palladium coats at 1 nm/10 seconds, and platinum coats at 1 nm/10 seconds. So a standard 70-second coat of gold will cost an additional (21 x 0.30) $6.30, a 70-second coat of gold-palladium will cost (7 x 0.30) $2.10, and a 70-second coat of platinum will cost (7 x 0.45) $3.15.
**The Xradia NanoCT system requires staff setup of the sample before X-ray collection.
***The actual hourly cost for this instrument is $91.31. The Beckman Institute subsidizes the TEM at a rate of $41.31 per hour for Internal university users. Enterprise Works users are charged the full $91.31 per hour.