Microscopy Suite Equipment Fees
Fees/rates for use of equipment in the Microscopy Suite determined through analysis by Government Costing, University of Illinois. In effect starting July 1, 2018; subject to change.
Using the Zeiss AxioImager A1 light microscope and the software provided, one may trace and analyze branching structures throughout single or serial sections. The SW will also plot and analyze the distribution of cells throughout single or serial sections. Measurements may be made while tracing, and the system includes all modern stereological probes for unbiased measurements (optical fractionator, optical and physical dissector, Cavalieri, cycloids, lines, nucleators, rotator).
A chart for immersion oil types can be found here.
- Optronics MicroFire Progressive Scan CCD
- CCD Array: large-format 3/4\" Color CCD
- Active Pixels: 1600 x 1200
- Pixel Size: 7.4 µm square
- Fluorescence, transmitted brightfield, reflected brightfield & transmitted polarized light capabilities
- Motorized stage and focus
|Manufacturer||Carl Zeiss, Inc.|
|Equipment Model||AxioImager A1|
|Phone Numbers||(217) 333-4387, (217) 244-6928, (217) 265-5071, (217) 244-4473 (Room B606E)|
* The fee for use is added to our purchase cost for the specific precious metal (gold, gold-palladium, or platinum) expended during coating. Gold and gold-palladium are charged at $0.30/nm, and platinum is charged at $0.45/nm. The added fee is easy to determine for the dual-metal evaporator, for which total thicknesses are reported in nm. For the sputter coaters, at 65 mTorr and 40 mA, gold coats at 3 nm/10 seconds, gold-palladium coats at 1 nm/10 seconds, and platinum coats at 1 nm/10 seconds. So a standard 70-second coat of gold will cost an additional (21 x 0.30) $6.30, a 70-second coat of gold-palladium will cost (7 x 0.30) $2.10, and a 70-second coat of platinum will cost (7 x 0.45) $3.15.
**The Xradia NanoCT system requires staff setup of the sample before X-ray collection.
***The actual hourly cost for this instrument is $91.31. The Beckman Institute subsidizes the TEM at a rate of $41.31 per hour for Internal university users. Enterprise Works users are charged the full $91.31 per hour.