Microscopy Suite Equipment Fees
Fees/rates for use of equipment in the Microscopy Suite determined through analysis by Government Costing, University of Illinois. In effect starting July 1, 2018; subject to change.
Zeiss SteREO Discovery V20 Microscope
The SteREO Discovery V20 microscope is a Carl Zeiss stereomicroscope with its motorized zoom in range of 20:1. It is equipped with a motorized focus controller and a tall arm, allowing for the placement of very large specimens on the base. With a Zeiss Axiocam MRc color camera, the Zeiss Zen software, associated with the microscope, allows the documentation of settings while images are taken. The software also facilitates the acquisition of z-stack images which can be computed in the software to an extended focus image allowing you to view your entire specimen in a greater depth of field.
- Fluorescence imaging with a PentaFluar S/X-Cite illuminator
- High speed of >1,000 fps imaging with Phantom cameras
- Planapochromatic corrected microscope bodies with a zoom range of 20:1
- The Zeiss Axiocam MRc color camera has a 2/3" CCD sensor and transfers images via the 400 megabit fast IEEE 1394a FireWire connection
- Eyepiece WPL 10X/23 Br. Foc
- Two additional camera adapters available for user's camera
- Achromat S 0.3X, working distance 253 mm, magnification range from 2.3X to 45, object field range from 102 mm to 5.1 mm
- Achromat S 0.63X, working distance 115 mm, magnification range from 4.7X to 94.5, object field range from 48.7 mm to 2.4 mm
- Plan Apo S 1.5X, working distance 30 mm, magnification range from 11.3X to 225, object field range from 20.4 mm to 1.0 mm
|Manufacturer||Carl Zeiss, Inc.|
|Equipment Model||SteREO Discovery V20|
|Phone Numbers||(217) 244-6928, (217) 333-4387|
* The fee for use is added to our purchase cost for the specific precious metal (gold, gold-palladium, or platinum) expended during coating. Gold and gold-palladium are charged at $0.30/nm, and platinum is charged at $0.45/nm. The added fee is easy to determine for the dual-metal evaporator, for which total thicknesses are reported in nm. For the sputter coaters, at 65 mTorr and 40 mA, gold coats at 3 nm/10 seconds, gold-palladium coats at 1 nm/10 seconds, and platinum coats at 1 nm/10 seconds. So a standard 70-second coat of gold will cost an additional (21 x 0.30) $6.30, a 70-second coat of gold-palladium will cost (7 x 0.30) $2.10, and a 70-second coat of platinum will cost (7 x 0.45) $3.15.
**The Xradia NanoCT system requires staff setup of the sample before X-ray collection.
***The actual hourly cost for this instrument is $91.31. The Beckman Institute subsidizes the TEM at a rate of $41.31 per hour for Internal university users. Enterprise Works users are charged the full $91.31 per hour.